Friday, October 23, 2009

Arrival to Minnesota / Hospital Day 1-2

Well I'm not sure where to start but I will say that our first 24 hours in Minneapolis has been eventful to say the least. Sorry I haven't blogged lately for those of you who follow this, but life has been challenging..moreso than in the past. I'll try to be brief but I want you all to know the happenings so prayer can be specific.
Lacey woke up yesterday morning at home feeling quite well. We packed our last few items and boarded a plane in Gulfport, all hopeful, and although weak, Lacey was feeling better than she had in weeks. Our flight to Memphis was rather uneventful with the exception of some first flight jitters from our dear little Elyse, who I must say has been a trooper! Sometime as we were getting off the plane in Memphis Lacey began to have chills and weakness. Our connection time there was very short and we only had about 45 minute to prepare Elyse and ourselves for the cold weather upon arrival in Minneapolis. However during this short time, Lacey's health began to falter. We boarded the plane and took off for Minnesota at 2:23pm. Elyse put up a fight on the flight but finally fell asleep but for Lacey things continued to deteriorate. She had increased chills and weakness than led to confusion and slight combativeness. I was scared. Her mother, our helper, and our blessing from God was several rows up on the plane. About 30 minutes prior to touchdown in Minnesota, Lacey got terribly sick. Began to try to nurse her, while holding Elyse, who remained asleep, and I was trying not to stir up all the folks on the flight around me, although they were obviously aware Lacey was very ill. She lost recognition of me and Elyse and began to think she was in many different places. She become very frightful and combative against me. I checked her sugar and it was good at 120. Then I pulled out a thermometer and checked her temp, which was 103.5, and I knew we had problems. She was having convulsions, and was now unable to communicate or even hold her head up. Let me add here that on Wednesday she had 4 immunizations that are required for surgery. I had no idea what was happening but she then passed out and I was really out of my league as a nurse. I had no idea what to do. She woke up sobbing, calling her momma, and telling me goodbye and that she was dying. I truly believed this was the last time I'd speak to my wife. I was very fearful. I held her in my arms, while holding sleeping Elyse and praying that my God, the God of my salvation, the God of all knowledge and power, would somehow keep my dear wife with me long enough to land the plane. I notified the stewardist who got Lacey's mother to come take Elyse. There was also a nice doctor on the flight that came for moral support, although none of us knew what to do. Her fever was firing, her heart rate was 160 and her respiration were over 50 a minute. She was not cooperative. We were all fretful.
So the stewardist notified Minneapolis Paramedics who met us once we finally landed and to shorten things up, we had a wild ride to the hospital, leaving our dear child with Lacey's mother...who was now responsible for 7 large suitcases, 3 carry ons, and a 25 pound 10 month old. I was on the ambulance crying for God's mercy and listening to Lacey scream in the back as a wonderful female paramedic with a strong northern accent attempted to make her comfortable.
This is really lengthy, but we made it to the ER of the hospital where the surgery is scheduled, and thank God, Lacey's mother made it to our hotel with the baby and almost all the luggage. At the ER, staff was wonderful, Lacey was horribly ill with a fever now of 105.7. She now was having terrible pains to her pancreas and nausea which compounded the issue at hand. Nurses and a wonderful Christian doctor tended to her and she was comfortable within 10 minutes. Fever was still flaming. Lacey did become more aware of her surroundings but we were both quite scared, in a new city, with new symptoms that we'd never seen concerning the pancreas. After dozens of tests and lots of doctors we were admitted to the floor, wondering if the surgery was even gonna be possible, thanks to the high fever.
She suffered on and off all night with terrible chills fever and pain, but i must say there's no place like University Medical Center in Minneapolis. It sets the bar for what a hospital should be. These folks are great. I owe them thanks for the rest of my days.
So sunrise came and with sunrise came more doctors, more tests and more of our God's grace and mercy. We had a visit from Dr. Black, one of the surgical partners who said all tests thus far seem to be absent of evidence of an infection and that it seems to be a severe reaction to the immmunizations from Wednesday. We are thankful for that news. Then later we receieved a visit from Dr. Sutherland, the chief surgeon and pioneer of the pancreatectomy auto islet transplant. He allowed us to sign consent for surgery and said Monday would be the day of Lacey's dreams and that the surgery would be done on Monday. This was the assurance Lacey and I needed to keep pressing on.
So from that point up until now at least, we have continued to pray and beg for God's grace and mercy. It is now 1145pm and Lacey has had a better day. She has still had lots of pain, but thankfully no nausea and she has actually been eating meals by mouth without any tube feedings. Her fever has continued to rise and fall and has stayed around 103 all day. She has terrible pain and inflammation at the site of the injections to her right shoulder. We are still waiting on some of the blood cultures to tell if there's any infection in her blood stream but all signs now are pointing to a reaction to the immunizations and the surgery is still on for Monday. She has had a couple of bouts with severe chills and anxiety today and due to the fever, she has been unable to stop shaking at times. She's quite restful now and I must add that staff and doctors at this facility are simply amazing and God continues to provide wonderful people in our path to provide us with encouragement. Our families have made it here and we are thankful.
I will add briefly about the surgery: the doctor said today that they would cut lacey from her upper belly down the center to her belly button. Her pancreas, spleen, and appendix would be removed. The pancreas will be taken to a labortory about 15 miles away and it would be spun down in a centrifuge, making the islet cells (that produce insulin) rise to the top. These cells would then be transported back to the operating room and injected into Lacey's liver where hopefully they will take up residence. Doctors reminded Lacey that this pain would be the worse she's ever felt and that it would feel like a car accident that broke her to pieces. They encouraged her to be tough and to walk as soon as possible after the surgery. Upon hearing this, Lacey's eyebrows furrowed and she said, "I'm gonna set the record for walking the soonest after my surgery." She said "God will give me strength, and I'll show these doctors how it's done." She is very ready to fight the fight. Please pray for her as she prepares to undergo this operation. Pray that God will continue to hold her up and encourage her to press on.
sorry for the choppy nature of this post, i'm trying to paint a picture of Lacey's situation, and we are tired as the clock now reads 1212am. Our God is mighty. He is mighty. Faith in Him is real to me. I have no strength in myself to continue, Lacey has no strength to give me and I have none for her, but my friends, please know our God is a consuming fire, His strength is sufficient even when we look upon the face of a spouse not knowing when you'll see her eyes open for the last time. Our God holds us up and He will provide a means for us to glorify Him. Pray that He is glorified as we suffer, and that Lacey's suffering would be ended with relief of this pain and an ability for her to live somewhat more normal than she has in 12 years. Thank you our brothers and sisters. We love you all, and may God bless you through our testimony and sufferings.

9 comments:

  1. Jeremy and Lacey,
    My name is Lawrie Wallace, and I work with your sister Dana at PES. I thank you for the time and effort that you put into writing the blog and sharing with us your journey. Jeremy, you are an amazing young man and I don't even know you. I pray for grace and mercy on you as you continue to be the protector and shield for Lacey. Lacey, I pray rest and peace for you. I pray God's peace fills your heart as Monday approaches. You are a strong young lady and God is using your situation to touch many lives. You will probably never know how far reaching your testimony truly will be. I will be in constant prayer for doctors, nurses, and hospital staff as they minister to you both. I teach an adult Sunday School class at Petal-Harvey and we will be in fervent prayer for you tomorrow. Again, I don't even know you personally but I love you guys!!! You are both fighters and armed with God's armor to conquer the battle that lies ahead. Go God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, PLEASE know that we are all praying for all of you! Cindy called me yesterday afternoon, but I didn't get her call until later and when I tried to call back, she was unable to answer. Our God is merciful and will give you strength. I know that Monday will bring the peace that you all have been seeking for over 11 years! Please tell Lacey that we love her! I look forward to hearing from Cindy Monday after surgery. PLEASE let me know if there is anything that I can do other than to pray! Darlene and Victoria Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy, thank you for your testimony. May God be glorified in every action, and may Lacey and you have the strength to continue testifying to who He is. Just as the doctors in Minneapolis have been given abilities by God to provide physical healing, you guys are there to bear witness to them of His ultimage spiritual healing. A need that is greater than any physical need we may have.

    Amelia and I will continue praying as we have been for you both as well as Lacey and your families. As I was reading, I found myself imagining being in your position. Me holding Amelia and Abigail not knowing what is next and feeling helplessness that only God can fill.

    Where we are weak He is strong.

    Your brother in Christ,

    Adam Watkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy,

    Melissa and I are constantly praying for you two and your families. I have not heard yet whether Randy, Logan and Grace made it safely to Minneapolis, but I can identify with driving on the Interstate when you are dog tired.

    Although I know you just trying to keep us informed as to what is going on, your testimony has been a tremendous witness to several of the people at the bank where I am working, including one of my colleagues. Just the day before this blog she and I were talking about what it is to be a Christian. I printed your blog and handed it to her. Read this and you will understand what it is to be a Christian.

    I will never forget your statement that Lacey was exhausted, you were exhausted, your families were exhausted and your churches were exhausted, but God was not tired and he was not waiting for someone to tell him what to do.

    In our worst trials God know what to do and what is the best for us.

    Keep up the good fight, because you have a wonderful warrior standing beside you.

    Love,

    Don and Melissa Ebbert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just want you to know that both of you are in my prayers. Jeremy, what an awesome husband you are to Lacey. Lacey you are one of the strongest women I know. Most women would have done given up by now, but I know it's God's mercy that is keeping you going! And you are right with him all things are possible just as you being the quickest to walk after this surgery. My prayers, thoughts, and love are with you and your entire family!

    Love,
    Nikki Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremy and Lacey,
    We love you both dearly! You are both so strong and I know that God has not brought you this far not to carry you through! It breaks my heart that you are having to go through all of this but WOW what a testimony to so many people! Eddie fixed steaks for supper tonight and I could not help but think about Lacey! He said that he has one waiting for her when yall get home!!
    Love and Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeremy and Lacey,
    Your faith in our God and love for one another is a testimony to all of us. I pray for your peace and strength as you begin the journey to healing. Jeremy...you are a man of God beyond words and your love for your family is so touching. Lacey...you are the woman that God wishes for all of us to be and I am amazed and renewed by your strength. You are both special to all of us and our thoughts and prayers are with you. Much love and peace, Leigh and Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Jeremy for keeping up the blog for us. What a tremendous testimony from such a strong young man of God. I am so proud of you and the awesome young man you have become. You remind me thru all of this of my sweet Mr Roy--quiet-strong--steadfast-and a man after God's own heart. Lacey is blessed to have you by her side. And you are blessed as well to have such a strong Christian young woman God picked out just for you. HE will be using this tribulation time for HIS glory! There are lots and lots of prayers fervently going up for yall. We have the faith that you both along with sweet little Elyse, will begin a new life after today! It will be rough--I know--but God will be there every step of the way!! I love you both. Roy and Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Lacey's tribulations have touched my heart completely. I went through such a time in 1982 and I know the feelings of unknowing and true fear you feel. I also know what an awesome mighty God we share. I have prayed continuously for your family since I heard of your plans to fly to Minneapolis. I will be happy to help in any way I can and always know I have you in my prayers. Mary Frances Keyes, Petal, Ms.

    ReplyDelete